How Do I Join?
We generally accept applications once a year beginning in the early part of a year. We anticipate accepting applications for next year’s class in January. This will depend on many factors. We invite you to still visit us and contact us if interested.
We welcome anyone who is interested to attend any of our general meetings. They typically are on the last Monday of the month at the EOC 221 Turner Drive in Bodo Park in Durango. These meeting dates and times can change so please use the form below to get your name on our interest list. We notify this list of any significant events and meeting changes and agendas.
We do welcome people who are interested to contact us. We have volunteer needs throughout the year that range beyond rescue work. The team needs people who can also help organize, fundraise, volunteer at the EOS during large countywide emergencies.
Please feel free to reach out, come to a meeting and introduce yourself.
Membership in LPCSAR is a commitment. It takes engaged people to respond to the wide variety of missions we see. We have regular meetings, trainings and fundraising events that require members to participate in. We do not always have openings, but we welcome your interest as we sometimes have very specific needs that we want to fill. So we invite you to reach out to us.
We accept applications once a year. If you would like to be notified when we have openings or are accepting applications for general members, then please use the contact form on this website to tell us you are interested. We will then put you on our interest list.
Once you are on the list you will be invited to events. We welcome you to do this and also attend our monthly meetings.
Our monthly meetings are typically held the last Monday of each month at the La Plata County Communications & Emergency Operations Center, 221 Turner drive at 7 pm. This is a great way to meet some of our members and decide if you are interested in joining LPCSAR. Map and Directions for EOC Meeting location.
- Fill Out the New Interested Applicant Form below to get on the “Interested” email list
- Attend an Information Session (We will notify you when the next one is scheduled)
- Obtain and fill out an application at the Information session. (These will be available at the info Session) There may be an application fee that covers a background check by the Sheriff’s Office.
- You May be invited to an interview.
- Following the Interview, we will invite people to become a Candidate Member.
- As a Candidate you will attend a series of trainings (evenings and some weekend days).
- Following successful completion of the training, you will become a mission ready member.
Interested in Joining – Fill out this form to get on Interested list:
If you have further questions or want to know more about this, then please fill out the contact form as well. The contact form will go directly to a member who can talk with you. Contact Form
LPCSAR Members are required to:
- Attend at least six monthly meetings per year
- Attend at least two trainings a year, as a participant or instructor
- Be currently certified in CPR and First Aid
- Have a current hiking certificate (CORSAR Card) or hunting/fishing license
- Pay $12 in annual dues
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO READ
- You must submit legible copies of your current First Aid, CPR, and CORSAR card or Hunting/Fishing license and $12 dues with your application in order to consider your application complete (see cover page).
- Once your application is submitted and determined to be complete, you will be contacted and an interview time will be set. This interview will be between you and one or more officers of LPCSAR. Special Team Leaders may also participate, at their discretion. The interview will be to assess your level of interest and commitment to the team and provide additional information about any Special Team(s) you may be interested in joining.
- As a Candidate Member, you may be allowed to participate in some missions. This will be up to the discretion of the team and be determined on a mission by mission basis
- Once you are a Member:
- you can and are strongly encouraged and expected to respond to incidents
- you can, and are encouraged to, attend trainings that are open to the General Membership;
- you can, and are encouraged to, attend the monthly General Membership meetings and will be sent a copy of the monthly newsletter;
- you can, and are encouraged to, participate in any fund raising activities;
- you will receive text messages regarding mission activities;
- you will NOT respond to mission activities until you are field tested and ready.
- If you are interested in joining any of the LPCSAR Special Teams, indicate this on the application. You may meet with the team leader during your interview to discuss how to join that team.